Learn about how mental illness can be a barrier to physical wellness and how the costs of managing patients with comorbid mental and medical conditions can impact your health system.
The Screening Toolkit resources can help providers identify depressive symptoms and difficult-to-diagnose conditions, such as bipolar disorder.
Motivational Interviewing Toolkit
Motivational Interviewing (MI) is an evidence-based, collaborative style of conversation that is intended to strengthen a person's own motivation and commitment to health behavior change.
- Druss BG, Reisinger Walker E. Mental disorders and medical comorbidity. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Research Synthesis Report No. 21, February 2011.
- Unützer J, Park M. Strategies to improve the management of depression in primary care. Prim Care. 2012;39(2):415-431.
- Wortman Z, Tilson EC, Cohen MK. Buying health for North Carolinians: addressing nonmedical drivers of health at scale. Health Aff (Millwood). 2020; 39(4):649-654.
- Thorpe K, Jain S, Joski P. Prevalence and spending associated with patients who have a behavioral health disorder and other conditions. Health Aff (Millwood).. 2017;36(1):124-132
- Lewis VA, Colla CH, Tierney K, Van Citters AD, Fisher ES, Meara E. Few ACOs pursue innovative models that integrate care for mental illness and substance abuse with primary care. Health Aff (Millwood).. 2014;33(10):1808-1816.